The simple answer to this question is no, not everyone can get dental implants. Because implants require surgery and a lifelong commitment to care for them, it’s important that candidates for dental implants first meet specific requirements before receiving their dental restorations.
The good news is that most adults with strong jawbones, excellent oral health habits, and relatively few bodily health issues overall will be a good fit for the treatment.
What requirements do I need to meet to receive dental implants?
While it may go without saying, the first step is to be missing at least one of your natural teeth. Dental implants are a permanent artificial replacement for missing teeth, and allowing your body to heal and accept the implant materials takes time and patience. This treatment is only appropriate for patients suffering from loss of their natural teeth and is not for people with completely healthy smiles and no tooth loss.
Beyond just missing a tooth or two, excellent candidates for dental implants usually have the following in common:
- Being a non-smoker and willing to avoid tobacco products in the future
- Having no gum disease or receiving successful treatment to reverse gum disease before receiving a dental implant
- Being committed to consistent, strong oral health habits like daily flossing and regular brushing
- Having healthy jaw bone or being able to undergo bone grafting before the procedure
- Being in good overall health and able to undergo and recover from oral surgery
Dentists typically do not recommend dental implants to smokers and tobacco users, patients with very brittle jawbones, or patients unwilling to commit to lifelong dental care and regular visits to their dentist.
Who can I talk to about dental implants in Durham, NC?
Drs. Kate Dolin and Adam Spriggs are happy to answer your remaining questions about the implant process! Please call our friendly dentist office today at (919) 941-5549 to get started.