If you have a tooth extraction coming up, you probably have a lot of questions: What should you expect? Will it hurt? How should you care for yourself, post-extraction?
What to Expect After Tooth Extraction in Durham, NC
If our experienced dentists recommend tooth extractions at our Durham, NC dental office, you can rest assured that they will explain why it’s needed and how it will benefit you. During your procedure, our caring dental team will do everything they can to make sure you’re comfortable.
We will review post-op instructions with you afterward and send you home with a post-extraction kit that includes our contact information if you have questions. Your body needs time to rest and recover after your tooth extraction, so plan to take the rest of the day off.
Follow the instructions our Durham, NC dentists provide to ensure your comfort and avoid a painful complication called dry socket that occurs when the blood clot that’s forming over the extraction site is dislodged.
- To control bleeding, bite down on the gauze pad we provide for 30 to 60 minutes after extraction, then replace it with a clean pad as needed.
- You can brush your teeth 24 hours after your procedure but stay away from the extraction site.
- Do not rinse your mouth, spit, smoke, or use a straw for the first 24 hours as all these actions can dislodge the protective blood clot.
- Do not drink carbonated beverages or alcohol, and avoid spicy foods. Instead, stick to soft foods like yogurt, soup, or pudding.
- Do not smoke for 72 hours after your extraction because it slows down recovery.
- Take over-the-counter or prescription pain medications as directed by our dentists.
If you have any questions or concerns or experience heavy bleeding, please call us anytime, day or night. We have staff members standing by 24 hours a day to take your call to provide reassurance and answer your questions.
We Offer Stress-Free Tooth Extractions
We realize that tooth extraction may be a once-in-a-lifetime procedure for you, but our skilled dentists have experience in performing comfortable, stress-free tooth extractions at our Durham, NC dental office.
Please call us to schedule an appointment for more information about tooth extraction.