Cosmetic Dentistry in Durham, NC
Serving the Durham, NC community
Not only is a healthy mouth essential but we want you to have a smile that you are proud of. A beautiful smile exudes confidence and can dramatically improve your quality of life.
Whether it is whitening your teeth, closing gaps, or straightening crowded or crooked teeth, The Smile Shop offers many cosmetic dentistry options at our Durham, NC dental office to help you achieve that gorgeous smile of your dreams!
- What is cosmetic dentistry?
- What problems does cosmetic dentistry fix?
- What can you do about improving the shape of my teeth?
- How does dental bonding work?
- I brush and floss my teeth. Why do they look dull and discolored?
- What option do you recommend for whitening my smile?
- Can you tell me more about the porcelain veneers process?
- How can dental crowns improve the appearance of my smile?
- I’m unhappy with my crooked teeth. What do you suggest?
- How can I get started with my smile makeover?
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Whether you’d like to fix a single crooked tooth or transform your entire smile, you can turn to cosmetic dentistry in Durham, NC, for solutions. Some treatment options available with cosmetic dentistry are:
- Teeth whitening
- Cosmetic bonding
- Porcelain veneers
- Porcelain Crowns
What problems does cosmetic dentistry fix?
Whatever your aesthetic concern is, we offer the solution you need here at The Smile Shop. Here are a few problems cosmetic dentistry can fix:
- Discolored or stained teeth
- Teeth that are shorter or smaller than the others
- Size or shape discrepancies
- Teeth with gaps between them or missing teeth
- Broken, chipped or cracked teeth
- Mild to moderate tooth misalignment
As advances in modern dental technology have made a perfect smile possible, cosmetic dentistry has become increasingly popular in the United States. Call us today to learn how to take your smile to the next level!
What can you do about improving the shape of my teeth?
If you are unhappy with the aesthetics of your smile, the first step is to make an appointment with Dr. Dolin or Dr. Spriggs with The Smile Shop. At the consult, we complete a comprehensive exam to evaluate every aspect of your smile and go over all the options to give you the dream smile you’ve always wanted!
- Composite bonding – White composite fillings material is commonly used to fix small chips or close gaps between your teeth. Composite dental bonding in Durham, NC is the most conservative option because we don't need to remove tooth structure.
- Porcelain veneers – Veneers are thin porcelain shells that are customized for you and cemented onto your tooth. Veneers are great to improve not only the shape of your teeth but also the color.
- Crowns – Dental crowns, sometimes referred to as caps, surround a tooth. This makes them an excellent choice to perfect shape and color and greatly improved esthetically.
We have plenty of options to improve the shape of your teeth and restore your confident smile. To learn more about dental crowns in Durham, NC, please call our office today to make an appointment.
How does dental bonding work?
Dental bonding in Durham, NC is a non-invasive aesthetic dental treatment that we use to alter the shape, size, or shade of a tooth. We use tooth-colored composite filling material for bonding because it blends seamlessly with dental enamel.
If you have a chipped or broken tooth, our doctors restore it by building up the tooth-colored composite layer by layer. Since the material has a consistency like putty, we apply and shape it to correct the imperfection. Each layer is hardened with a curing light before proceeding, and the result is a sturdy, durable repair that looks so natural even you won't be able to spot it!
Bonding is conservative since we don't have to remove any tooth structure, and the process is so straightforward that we can often perform several repairs during one appointment.
I brush and floss my teeth. Why do they look dull and discolored?
Over time, your teeth can absorb stains. Coffee, tea, sodas, and countless other food and drinks all contribute to tooth staining and discoloration. In addition to the daily plaque removal with brushing and flossing, whitening is a great option to help brighten your smile.
If you have noticed your smile getting a little darker over the years, or you are an avid coffee or tea drinker, and you would like to brighten your smile, please schedule an appointment today to ask us about teeth whitening in Durham, NC.
What option do you recommend for whitening my smile?
Teeth can become stained for many different reasons. But teeth whitening is the perfect option for brightening up your smile!
- Custom trays for take-home whitening – With this option, we take impressions of your teeth so we can fabricate bleaching trays customized for your smile. This way, we can better control the bleaching agent, so it comes into contact with more of the surfaces of your teeth and less of surrounding gum tissue.
- In-office booster whitening – If you want whiter teeth and don’t want to wait for results, in-office whitening could be a good option. Results are typically noticeable after just one visit.
- Individual tooth whitening – We can often whiten only a single tooth. A single tooth could become discolored due to trauma that resulted in a root canal. We have bleach specifically designed to work on individual, root canaled teeth.
No one option is best for everyone. Our team is knowledgeable about the various options available, so if you are interested in a brighter smile, please don’t hesitate to ask us for more information!
Can you tell me more about the porcelain veneers process?
If your smile needs a makeover, an excellent option to consider is veneers placed on teeth that show when you smile. We can easily change the shape and color or your teeth with minimally invasive porcelain veneers.
It takes at least two appointments to design and place veneers at our Durham, NC dental office. At the first appointment, your teeth will be minimally prepared, and impressions are taken to send to our amazing dental lab.
During your next visit, we deliver your finished veneers and cement them in place. We provide at-home care for your new smile along with recommendations for a night guard to protect your teeth from grinding and lengthen the lifespan of your porcelain veneers.
How can dental crowns improve the appearance of my smile?
If your smile already has some fillings in the front teeth or have been root canal treated, crowns may be a better choice for making your smile beautiful.
Placing a crown typically requires two appointments. During your first visit, we prepare your natural tooth for the crown and then take a detailed impression. Next, the impressions are sent to one of our preferred dental laboratories where your final crown is fabricated.
During the second appointment, we remove the temporary crown and place the lab-fabricated crown on your tooth. We thoroughly examine the fit and finish to ensure the crown is perfect in every aspect. Once you approve and are 100% satisfied, we permanently cement the crown to your tooth.
We assure you that both appointments are as painless as possible and every step is taken with your comfort in mind.
I’m unhappy with my crooked teeth. What do you suggest?
Straightening your teeth with braces or Invisalign clear aligners is an excellent way to improve the aesthetics of your smile. Dr. Dolin and Dr. Spriggs work with some of the best local orthodontists who offer braces and Invisalign in Durham, NC to help make your smile perfect.
If straightening your teeth is something you desire, please contact us today to make an appointment to evaluate your smile.
How can I get started with my smile makeover?
Every smile is different and unique. We work closely with each patient to better understand desires and expectations. By focusing on individual tooth shapes, shades, and following the "golden ratio" standards, we can create a smile that you will be proud to show off!
Please feel free to ask any of our team members for more information or call The Smile Shop today to arrange your commitment-free smile consultation!